Respecting your privacy and protecting your personal data
Nippon Paint collects information to understand your needs better. This helps us to improve our services and the way we communicate with you.
We know that privacy is important to you and we strive to be as open and transparent as possible in how we serve you.
We conduct our business in compliance with the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) and have implemented additional measures to protect your personal information.
Nippon Paint’s Data Protection Policy aims to help you understand how we collect, use, share and protect your personal information.
Ways we collect your personal information
We may collect your personal information when you:
- Subscribe to our services
- Register for a specific product or service (e.g. registering your interest to purchase painting service package)
- Sign up for alerts or newsletters
- Contact us with a question or request for assistance
- Participate in a competition, lucky draw or survey
- Visit our websites or other owned media such as Facebook, Instagram
The information we collect
The information we collect depends on the Nippon Paint products and services you use and subscribe to. Here are key examples:
- Your identity– This includes NRIC, FIN or passport number, address, telephone number, e-mail address, date of birth, as well as service-related information such as bank and credit card details, device ID and IP address.
- Your interaction with us– For example, a note or recording of a call you make to one of our contact centres, an email or letter you send to us or other records of any contact you have with us.
- Information on our products and our network– For example, information on the performance of our product on our network such as website, Facebook, Instagram.
- Your preferences– This is based on what you share with us on how you would like to be contacted, and your preferred products, services and lifestyle activities for example. By accessing our websites, you agree to receive these cookies on your device.
- Information from other organisations– These organisations include fraud-prevention agencies, business directories, credit reference agencies or individuals we believe you have authorised to provide your personal details on your behalf.
How we use your information
We may use your information for:
Provisioning & administration of services
- Process your orders and commence or terminate services
- Enable us to process bills and payments
- Respond to enquiries and requests from you or people you have authorised
- Inform you about service upgrades and updates
- Conduct market research and customer satisfaction surveys to improve our customer service; develop new products, as well as personalise the services we offer you
Sharing of rewards and benefits
- Offer rewards and promotions, and share promotional benefits and loyalty programs which you may qualify for
- Provide updates, offers, invitations to events and deliver relevant advertising, including through voice and SMS with your prior consent or if otherwise permitted under local laws and regulations
Security and risk management
- Inform you of service and security issues
- Prevent and detect fraud or other crimes and recover debts
- Conduct internal audits
- Ensure the safety and security of our properties and systems
- Conduct checks against money laundering, terrorism financing and related risks
Legal & regulatory requirements
- Meet legal, regulatory and other requirements including providing assistance to law enforcement, judicial and other government agencies
We will not use your personal data for purposes other than what we have informed you, or which are permitted under local laws and regulations.
We will not offer, publish or share your personal data with third parties outside of the Nippon Paint for commercial purposes, without seeking your explicit permission.
We will retain your information for only as long as there is a business or legal need.
Sharing your information
We may share your information with:
- Companies in the NIPSEA Group
- Business partners and vendors we work with to deliver services you have engaged to
- Industry regulators and other government organisations, as required by local laws and regulations
- Financial institutions for purposes such as facilitating GIRO payments
- Research institutions for market analysis purposes
Your information is disclosed to the above only for relevant purposes (please refer to those mentioned in this Policy) or to protect the interests of our customers.
In some cases, we encrypt, anonymise and aggregate the information before sharing it. Anonymising means stripping the information of personally identifiable features. Aggregating means presenting the information in groups or segments e.g. age groups.
We will also ensure that overseas organisations we work with observe strict confidentiality and data protection obligations.
Protecting your information
We endeavor to take precautions to ensure that the information you have provided is protected against unauthorised or unintended use, access or disclosure. However, we cannot be held responsible for unauthorised or unintended use, access or disclosure that is beyond our control.
Respecting your contact preferences
Nippon Paint is committed to complying with the Do Not Call (DNC) provisions. We have always been mindful of engaging our customers in a more targeted and relevant way.
We may send marketing messages to your Singapore telephone number if:
- you have given us consent, OR
- you have not registered with the national DNC Registry, OR
- the sending of such messages is permissible under applicable laws and regulations.
Our marketing messages aim to update you about our exclusive offers, rewards programme and special deals.
If you wish to opt out, please write to Gerald Chua at email@example.com. Your request will be processed within 30 days.
Please note that after opting out, you may still continue to receive non-marketing messages permitted under applicable local laws and regulations.
Feel free to contact our Data Protection Officer – Mr Gerald Chua at firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also refer to our FAQ section for more details.
We may amend or modify this Policy from time to time, such as in response to changes to legislation. We remain committed to safeguarding your information and being open about our data protection practices.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE IN ANY EVENT FOR ANY SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND OR FOR ANY LOSS OF REPUTATION OR GOODWILL, WHETHER BASED IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), EQUITY, STRICT LIABILITY, STATUTE OR OTHERWISE, SUFFERED AS A RESULT OF UNAUTHORISED OR UNINTENDED USE, ACCESS OR DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is ‘personal data’?
Personal data refers to data, whether true or not, about an individual who can be identified from that data; or from that data and other information to which the organisation has or is likely to have access.
For more information, please visit Personal Data Protection Commission.
2. Is there any type of data that is not covered under the PDPA?
All non-personal data (such as statistics, numbers and other information that cannot be linked back to an individual) and business contacts are not covered under PDPA.
For more information, please visit Personal Data Protection Commission.
3. Are the rights of a child covered under the PDPA?
For any child below 13 years of age, the rights to consent, access and correction can only be granted by their guardians.
4. How does Nippon Paint obtain my consent for collecting, using or disclosing my personal data?
You may have given your consent when you signed up for our services:
- via Service Agreement form
- via Contact Us form on website, Facebook, Instagram
- when you use our services
- when you join lucky draws, register and participate in our event and launches